Sunday, March 15, 2009

Local Boys Free Dolphins Trapped In Ice


I watched the blood soaked, dystopian vision that is Watchmen yesterday (1) so today I need to be reminded that people can be good. People can be real good:

The dolphins had been stranded by a slab of ice since Sunday in White Bay off the coast of Seal Cove, a village of about 400 people. A chunk of ice was rapidly closing in around the mammals and threatening to suffocate them.

"You'd hear them crying, every night," said one of the men in the boat, Rodney Rice, 39. "I went down there last night and you could hear them trying to break up more ice. . . . They wouldn't have lasted another day."


Sia

Endnote:

(1) There are spoilers in the link to that review at The New Yorker. For you Kevin Smith fans, here is his take on this film.

Links:

Graphic novels
I'm told by Himself that Watchmen, the graphic novel is very different from the film. If he will let me put my paws on his first edition, I'll read it and compare the two.

- Hat tip to Captain Lightning for the link to this story.

No comments: