Saturday, May 17, 2008

A New Understanding of Orisas


Today I would like to share a post about the Orisas by the collective blog Ile Emi Ifa

I found this note refreshing:

...reverence isn’t measured by how many times a devotee falls to their knees, recite rote prayers, sing a little ditty of praise, dance a little step or two, or anything else so basic and rather juvenile. Orisas should find such displays appalling. In the new philosophy of Ifa a devotee’s true reverence is measured by the depth of their integrity, the strength of their trust, the accuracy of their understanding, and the intensity of their drive to truly learn as much as possible and apply those lessons learned to our lives.
As always, take what you need and leave the rest.

I am sometimes asked if I really worship a Goddess or set of Goddesses. The short answer is this: I do not worship anything. I choose celebrate and cherish Her gifts as I understand them. As far as I'm concerned, all the rest is argument. (1)

Sia

(1) This quote sums up how I feel about religious worship as opposed to spiritual practice: "Man no sooner learned to stand then he got down on his knees." I prefer to stand upright.

Art: Three Yoruban Women by Consuelo Gamboa. You can buy the print at All Posters.com

1 comment:

Celtic Crystal said...

Found your blog by chance....thank you for the quotation. I shall be folowing from now on.