Monday, April 14, 2008

Now Touring the U.S - The Singing Revolution

I finally caught a showing of The Singing Revolution. It's a wonderful film, and the story of these courageous people will stay with me for a very long time.

I went with friends of mine, and we saw it last Saturday in Portland. It was a deeply moving experience for all four of us. We went out to dinner together afterwards, and we just couldn't stop talking about it. One friend, a gal who had been very active in the Civil Rights Movement, said that the scenes at the Song Festival grounds brought to mind the powerful, peaceful marches she attended at the National Mall in the 1960's. As a young woman she heard Dr. Martin Luther King gave his famous speech during the Great March. She told us that this film reminded her of those gatherings; times when hope and optimism for the future were something thousands of people shared.

As for me, I walked out of the movie theatre feeling inspired and humble at everything these people had endured and especially at what they had accomplished by peaceful means. I even felt a little hopeful - I haven't felt that way in a very long time. What a wonderful film.

Go see it. Go see it. Go see it.

My original post about the film and the movie trailer can be found in the article linked to below.

Visit their website for a list of screenings to find a showing in your city or sign up to request a screening of the film in your town.

Sia

Related Articles:

The Singing Revolution

No comments: