Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gunga la-gunga

Today I would like to share what Beweaver said about an interfaith conference on her campus. Here is an excerpt:

I’m probably no more enlightened than I was when I awoke this morning but I feel very much lighter. Walking back from the small university arena, I was struck by the falling cherry blossoms and told myself, you must remember this day, these blossoms, this song. The Ode to Joy is sounding in my head and I keep humming it. Walking through thick snow banks of cherry blossoms I felt at peace.

I was on my way back to my office after seeing and hearing His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and a large panel of spiritual leaders discuss compassion. How do we get rid of the anger in our hearts? How do we deal with those who practice violence in the name of religion?


Enjoy her post (1). If you like her writing, she also has a lovely follow-up post on compassion.

Gunga la-gunga to all here.

Sia

Video from Caddyshack. That, and Lost in Translation, are two of my favorite Bill Murray movies. He also did a remake of The Razor's Edge, adapted from the book by Sumerset Maugham; something Murray wanted to do for years. He did a fine job, but the film was ruined by the poor performances from other actors. I recommend the 1946 version with Tyrone Power. Most people have seen another of his films, Groundhog Day. It's the best movie I've ever seen on personal redemption....and it's funny.

I love Murray, he's very Zen.

Endnotes:

(1) I wonder if they invited any Pagans?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally honored!! I just found you too and I'm digging this blog.

BB,C

Anonymous said...

Bill Murray rocks, love him in Razor's Edge.

You question (1) was asked by me. When they introduced all the speakers I turned to my friend Nancy and said, "Where is the witch?" She said,
"Sitting next to me." Maybe next time we'll be on stage.

Dj Connell said...

Funny!

Well, at least we had representation.

It's nice to meet you :-)

Sia