Well. Here's an idea:
Give $1 million to workers over 50
Patriotic retirement: There are about 40 million people over 50 in the workforce. Pay them $1 million apiece severance pay with these stipulations:
1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings — unemployment fixed.
2) They buy new American cars. Forty million cars ordered — auto industry fixed.
3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage — housing crisis fixed.
- George H. Martin, Pacifica, CA (Opinion Section, San Jose Mercury News)
That's tax free, right? Thank you, Mr. Martin. Let's hope the President calls. (1)
Who stopped looking at her 401K a long time ago.
P.S. Can we make it $2 million? Because you've just made me spend a good deal of it, and my generation is going to live up into our 90's.
My thanks to gardengal for sending this to me.
(1) Humor Update 3/29 - Some folks didn't get the irony here, so I'm making it clear: See Cost of War.com and this story on the cost of the Financial Bailout to see what arrogance, stupidity and greed have cost us thus far.
Yet people still want the government to magically fix things, and they want our President to do that all at once, but they don't want to have to sacrifice themselves to make that happen.
As the rude (anonymous) person says in the comments below, do the math.
40 million people x 1 million = ?