Friday, July 15, 2005

Coming Out of the Closet

I sent an essay on the Spiral Steps groups to Dio at the Witches' Voice. I've signed it as Dj, the founder of Spiral Steps. I also noted in the Bio that my Craft name is Sia, which is how their readers have known me these last 4 years.

Coming out of the Recovery Closet is actually much harder for me than coming out of the Broom Closet ever was. After all, it's not just my story I'm telling here. I had to find a way way to talk about our support groups without betraying my family's privacy. I've done that.

This is a milestone for me. It won't mean as much to others, of course. After all, I'm a very little fish in a tiny Pagan pond. But there are other Pagans out there struggling with with addiction and dysfunctional families, and I'm hoping this helps them to know that they are not alone and that Pagan support groups exist.

Meanwhile, the online Spiral Steps group continues to grow and new people come to the real world meetings. Brenda (Director of Special Markets at Red Wheel, Weiser & Conari) is pitching the Spiral Steps book to her bosses as we speak. If this is the book I was meant to write, then I'll write it. It's not the book I had planned to write, nor is it the one I pitched to them, but the Goddess does love her little jokes...

Sia
"If I can't laugh, it's not my religion"

No comments: