Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lightworkers and Bodhisattvas


Today, the Wild Hunt Blog ponders the question of Lightworkers among us and considers whether Barack Obama might be one. One could also wonder if he is on the road to being a bodhisattva. Some years ago I wrote about change, a subject dear to the heart of Mr. Obama:

....every time I've needed to be shaken up, whether it be spiritually, emotionally or physically; that has happened. I moved forward in the direction that seems right to me and often, I hit a wall. I wailed at the wall. I resented the wall. I complained bitterly and at length about the wall."I never deserved this" I cried ! (Just between you and me, I sometimes did). Then a friend and teacher said this to me, "You'll always know which direction the universe wants you to take because it will stop you with a wall to get your attention. When you hit that wall, turn left." And so I do."

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not some Guru who sits in a cave and feels no attachment to the things of this world. I'm Pagan and I'm passionately connected to the earth and to the beauty I find here. While I'm glad of that, I also know that I will need to grieve many losses over the course of my life. No human being can escape grief and suffering. When I hit that wall of pain, anger and loss I do what others do; I look to my spiritual practice for comfort and support. And then I take action.

Fire and Air teach me about change, movement, loss and transformation. Water and Earth teach me lessons about healing, cleansing, growth, and rebirth. The wheel turns and turns again and none of us has control. We can only live in this moment and do the good that's in front of us.

I find as I get older that I can live passionately in this world, love it and still work to change it for the better. That's my left turn. You see, for me, achieving spiritual balance means that I need to cry, to let go and to bless that which changes. This includes places, things and people. For this reason I use the Serenity Prayer in my practice. It goes like this:

Grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
The courage the change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Let us hope that Mr. Obama knows this prayer. It will help him in the days to come.

Sia

This post is for Fyrehawk, Debbie and Jani K, three dear friends who are grieving the loss of loved ones. SV

No comments: